In this episode of Hair Loss Solutions TV™, you will discover the following:
- What Trichotillomania is
- The different stages of hair pulling severity
- The research behind this common disorder
If your clients have ever felt like pulling their hair out, they are not alone. While this is a common figurative phrase, pulling their hair in a literal sense is very real, and it’s a common disorder that many people may not even realize exists.
What is Trichotillomania?
Trichotillomania, a neurobiological and behavior disorder known as “Hair Pulling Disorder,” is the repetitive pulling out of one’s hair. According to the TLC Foundation, “Trichotillomania is one of a group of behaviors known as Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors (BFRBs), self-grooming behaviors in which individuals pull, pick, scrape, or bite their hair, skin, or nails, resulting in damage to the body.” Trichotillomania affects about 1 in 25 people, and the best way to manage this disorder and support others is to educate yourself. While many who experience these urges feel shame and embarrassment, it is essential to spread the message that they are not alone, and there is help out there.
In the video above, Clinical Psychologist Dr. Renae Reinardy discusses this common disorder, the variations of severity and the options for people suffering from this problem that are available.
Meet Dr. Renae Reinardy
Dr. Renae Reinardy currently runs a private practice in North Dakota, treating both adults and children with body focused behaviors and anxiety. Dr. Reinardy is the inventor and program developer of an online program and plush toy (Courage Critters) that helps children overcome childhood fears and unwanted behaviors. She has been featured on Good Morning America, the Joy Behar Show, Dateline NBC, and A&E’s Hoarders.
Be sure and tune in later this week, when we air Part 2 of Dr. Reinardy’s interview: Courage Critters Offer Hope.
Ready to Learn More About How to Help Your Clients?
- If you are looking for further education on how to help your clients with Hair Thinning or Loss, click on this link to receive information about upcoming training seminars.
- Be sure to subscribe to our Free Blog where we will continually feature new episodes from Hair Loss Solutions TV™. Just sign up at the top, right corner of this page, and we’ll send you reminders when new episodes are aired.
Explore Additional Resources:
In this episode, we used the following:
- Facebook: Courage Critters
- Website: The TLC Foundation (for Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors)
- Website: Heart & Soul Academy
- Book: Solutions to Women’s Hair Thinning and Loss (Professional Edition) by Jeffrey Paul